Old Red Iron – An Abandoned Railway Bridge in Waterford
Old Red Iron is the local name given to this railway bridge which spans the river Suir in Waterford, Ireland. Originally built in 1906, it was part of the route which linked Cork and Kerry to the Port of Rosslare via Waterford. The bridge has 9 spans. The central part could open for shipping however it has been subsequently removed. The removed section is now located a couple of hundred metres downstream on the shoreline.
With a length of 367 metres (1,205 ft), the Old Red Iron bridge was once one of the longest in the country and today is not far from Ireland’s second longest bridge, the River Suir Bridge on the N25 Waterford Bypass. The locals call it the “new bridge”. It opened in 2009 and is 230 metres (820 ft) long and 112 metres (367 ft) high. The longest bridge in Ireland is now the Rose Fitzgerald Kennedy bridge near New Ross which is also part of the N25 road. It is 887 metres (2,910 ft) long.