Uncategorized

St Edward’s Church, Stow-on-the-Wold , England

Serving Stow-on-the-Wold (or “Stow”), Gloucestershire, is St Edward’s Church, a Church of England parish church constructed in the middle ages.

St Edward’s Church
By Rebecca C. – originally posted to Flickr as [1], CC BY 2.0, Wikimedia
Except for its 15th-century tower and clerestory, the Ashlar Cotswold stone Norman Church of St. Edward dates from the 11th or 12th to the 14th centuries. It is believed that the original Saxon church, which was made of wood, was located there. The community’s wool trade, which directly enriched the medieval rectory, provided the substantial funding for the tower and clerestory. In addition, the church underwent renovations in 1873 and the 17th century.

John Loughborough Pearson was hired by Reverend Robert William Hippisley, the parish priest at the time. Between the years 1844 and 1899, Hippisley was Rector for a significant portion of the parish’s income. He kept the building safe and avoided harsh Victorian restoration. During the administration of the final civic (secular) vestry, he received complaints:

St Edward’s Church
Poliphilo, CC0, via Wikimedia Commons
Due to additions and renovations over several centuries, the church has a variety of architectural styles. A four-bay nave with north and south porches, wide aisles, a tower in the south transept, a north transept, and a three-bay chancel with an organ chamber and vestry make up the Cruciform floor plan. The ashlar tower has parapets, the roof is Cotswold stone, and the walls are made of rubble. The buttresses and some chip-carved string at the west end of the church are the only remaining Norman pieces.

St Edward’s Church
Photograph by Mike Peel (www.mikepeel.net)., CC BY-SA 4.0, via Wikimedia Commons
The south porch has gables, and the shallow 17th-century north porch hides a 13th-century molding on the north door, which is surrounded by yew trees. Three late tracery windows and a small 13th-century lancet can be found in the north aisle, while 14th-century tracery can be found in the south aisle. A Pearson-designed flowing east window and tall restored windows from the 14th century make up the chancel.

St Edward’s Church
By Martyn Gorman, CC BY-SA 2.0, Wikimedia
The 14th-century west window has a canopied niche at its end and is reticulated with an ogee arch. Two lancets flank the 15th-century east window in the north transept, which is probably from the 13th century. On the west side of the aisles, Tudor windows line the north transept. The drip molding on stilts of clerestory windows has a square head. In the inside of the congregation, the arcades date primarily from the 1300’s and consolidate more established twelfth century structure, yet the

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button